Bryce Goodall wants to volunteer 2020-10-26 18:10:57 +0000
As members of Living Rent, one of the key ways we support each other to confront the housing problems we face is through Member Defence. In each Living Rent branch, Member Defence Teams work with members to secure improvements to their housing situations using direct, collective action. We aren’t trained lawyers, but we have built expertise through our own experiences as renters and by working with each other to address various housing issues.
Member Defence teams aim to develop members who are ready to defend their own and their neighbour's right to a good, secure, affordable home. This means that members are at the forefront of fighting to address their own issues, protect themselves and their neighbourhoods.
Living Rent Member Defence teams fight and win on the following issues:
- Repairs and maintenance,
- Unjust charges, fees or deposit theft,
- Rent reductions
- Unfair service charges
Using direct collective action, member defence teams across the country have resisted evictions, won tens of thousands of pounds worth of repairs, rent reductions and compensation for our members. We have shown the power of an organised movement, fighting for people's rights.
Picketing Infiniti Properties in support of a member (left) and taking Harvey's Lets to Cleaners (right)
Have you had an issue with your landlord or housing provider?
- Join up as a member today
- Email our National Member Defence Coordinator for support: [email protected], including the neighbourhood where you live.
- Join our national support facebook group, for peer-to-peer advice.
There are Living Rent Member Defence Teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and neighbourhood Member Defence Teams in the Wyndford, Shawlands, Pollokshields, Govanhill, Govan, Dennistoun, Leith and Gorgie/Dalry. What the Member Defence teams can do:
- Sign-post to professional advice and support
- Support members in researching, planning and executing campaigns to secure improvements to their housing situation
- Use diverse tactics to pressure landlords and housing providers to fight for members' demands
Living Rent Member Defence teams cannot support with every case and they may signpost to other organisations.
The union is only as strong as its members, make your branch and your local Member Defence Team stronger by getting involved today (email [email protected]).Become a volunteer
Bryce Goodall donated 2021-01-26 19:03:54 +0000