Skip navigation

Mixed Tenure Improvement Scheme - what we know

This page explains what the Mixed Tenure Improvement Scheme is is and what it will mean for residents in Lochend and Restalrig.

To find out more about our concerns about this scheme, especially about the unfair costs imposed on residents, read our open letter to the Council here.

We have gathered information from many sources and put them together in one place. We will update this page regularly.


  • What is MTIS?

MTIS stands for Mixed Tenure Improvement Scheme. It is a relatively new scheme run by the Council to bring properties it owns up to meet a housing standard called EESSH2.

  • Why is it happening now?

The Council is legally required to meet the Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing (EESSH2) by 2032.

  • Why is it happening in Lochend and Restalrig?

The Council has been running this scheme in Wester Hailes since 2021 as a pilot and has decided to run the next pilot in Lochend and Restalrig. The area has been selected due to:

  • Fuel poverty 
  • Poor housing
  • Issues with common repairs in mixed tenure


  • What happened in Wester Hailes?

The pilot area in Wester Hailes includes 1400 homes in 181 blocks (of 6 and 8 in a block) and some individual houses in Murrayburn, Dumbryden and Hailesland and includes six different building types.

The Wester Hailes scheme will be complete in 2024 and will upgrade approximately 170 blocks.

(source: Housing, Homelessness and Fair Work Committee Thursday, 9 March 2023)

  • Are the buildings similar in Lochend/Restalrig and Wester Hailes?

No. Lochend and Restalrig have multiple and different non-traditional and traditional construction building types. 

  • Who is affected?

230 blocks are affected in this area:

The streets are:

Lochend Road South

Lochend Square

Sleigh  Gardens

Restalrig Crescent

Lochend Drive

Lochend Quadrant

Hawkhill Avenue

Restalrig Circus

Lochend Gardens

Lochend Grove

Findlay Avenue

Restalrig Road

Lochend Park

Lochend Crescent

Marionville Road

Restalrig Road South

Lochend Avenue

Sleigh Drive

Restalrig Square

Lochend Road




Case officer


63, 65, 67, 69, 70, 71,73 Lochend Road South

Lisa Wallace



2-16 Sleigh Drive

18-32 Sleigh Drive

34-36-38 Sleigh Drive

46-60 Sleigh Drive

62-76 Sleigh Drive

67 Lochend Drive

Lisa Wallace



119, 121, 123-125-127, 129-131-133 Restalrig Road South

16, 18, 20-22-24, 26, 28, 30-32-34 Lochend Drive

April Gillespie



3, 5-7-9, 11-13-15 Lochend Crescent

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Lochend Grove

1-3-5, 7-9-11, 13-15-17 Lochend Quadrant

April Gillespie



2, 4, 6-8-10, 12, 14 Lochend Drive

2-4-6, 8-10-12, 14-16-18 Lochend Quadrant

1 Lochend Crescent

Darren Oughton



109-111-113, 115-117-119, 121-123-125, 127-129-131, 133-135-137, 145-147-149, 151-153-155, 243, 236, 238, 240 Marionville Road

Darren Oughton



2, 10-10A-10B, 20, 22, 24, 26-28-30-32, 34-36-38-40 Lochend Road South

Rachel Wallace



1-3-5, 19-21-23, 25-27-29, 31-33-35, 37-39-41, 49-51-53, 55-57-59 Lochend Drive

Rachel Wallace



30-32-34, 36-38-40, 42-44-46, 54-56-58, 55-57-59, 60-62-64, 67-69-71, 79-81-83, 85-87-89, 91-93-95, 103-105-107, 109-111-113, 121-123-125, 127-129-131 Lochend Gardens

Kerry McGillivray



42-48, 50-56, 58-64, 66, 68 Lochend Road South

1-3-5, 7-9-11 Lochend Gardens

Jacqueline McMillan



70, 72, 2, 4, 6-8-10, 13-15-17, 18-20-22, 19-21-23, 24-26-28, 25-27-29, 37-47, 49-51-53 Lochend Gardens

Jacqueline McMillan



2, 4, 6 Lochend Park

3, 5, 7, 9, 11 Hawkhill Avenue

Kerry McGillivray



2, 4, 6 Hawkhill Avenue

148, 150 Lochend Road

Jacqueline McMillan



13-15-17, 19-21-23, 25-27-29, 37-39-41, 43-45-47 Sleigh Drive

1, 2, 9, 10 Lochend Square

Rachel Wallace



7-9-11 Sleigh Drive

2, 10-12-14, 22-36, 38-40-42, 56, 58 Lochend Avenue

April Gillespie



1-8, 10 Restalrig Crescent

April Gillespie



3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 14, 16, 18 Restalrig Circus

Darren Oughton



112, 116, 120, 167-169-171-173, 175-177-179-181, 183-185-187-189, 191 Restalrig Road

1A Restalrig Crescent

Darren Oughton



166, 168-174 Restalrig Road South

78-84 Sleigh Drive

1, 2-5 Sleigh Gardens

Lisa Wallace


We are aware some phases are missing, this is all the information we have from the Council.

Source: Mixed Tenure Improvement Service newsletter November 2023

  • What is being repaired?

The works to be carried out on your block will depend on the results of a survey done specifically for your block.

The works will be limited to repairs and maintenance as set out in the Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004 (see next question). In summary, the scope of works includes:

  • roof replacement 
  • removal of old warm air heating chimneys 
  • External wall repairs 
  • installation of external wall insulation
  • associated flue extensions and gas risers 
  • Replacement of rainwater rhones and pipes
  • replacement of common stair windows and doors
  • repairs in common stairs 
  • redecoration

The MTIS works are not statutory. This means that owners will be charged VAT at 20% on the cost of repairs. Energy efficiency measures are 0% VAT rated.

Source: Housing, Homelessness and Fair Work Committee Thursday, 9 March 2023

  • Is it legal?

Yes. The Council is using the Tenements (Act) 2004 as the basis for this scheme. 

In summary, the Act sets out how the responsibility for repair and maintenance works is divided between owners. There is a different process to be followed depending on who owns the majority of flats in a block.

Where the Council owns all the flats in a block

The Council decides unilaterally to go ahead with the survey and works as it is the sole owner.

Where the Council owns the majority of the flats in a block and private owners are the minority:

The Council decides unilaterally to go ahead with the survey and works. Minority owners have no say.

Where the Council owns the minority of the flats in a block and private owners are the majority

The Council has to conduct 2 votes and give owners the chance to have a say. 

Where the Council and private owners own the same number of flats in a block

The Council has to conduct 2 votes and give owners the chance to have a say. 

Where the Council owns no flats in a block

No votes or works will be carried out.

Source: We have sought advice from Citizens Advice and Under One Roof and they have confirmed that the Council is using the correct legislation to carry out these works. 

  • What is the process?

There are 2 votes that will take place in most blocks:

  • The first vote is for a decision on whether a building survey is done or not. The survey will determine what works need to be done to the building.
  • The second vote is a decision on whether work is done or not and this is the point where it becomes legally binding.

If the block chooses to have a survey but does not choose to have the works done then the cost of the survey will be invoiced to the owners. And if the block chooses to have the work done the costs of the survey are absorbed into the final bill.

➡️ Please note that if the Council owns more than half of flats within a stairwell then they are majority owners and automatically outvote any private owner. 

  • Who pays for the work?

Each flat owner will be invoiced for their share of the work. 

For example: 

In a 6 flat block, each flat’s owner will pay 1/6th

In a 4 flat block, each flat’s owner will pay 1/4th

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant, the Council owns the flat and will pay for the works to your flat.

Private tenants

If you are a private tenant, your landlord has to pay their share of the work.

Private owner occupiers

If you are an owner occupier, you have to pay for your share of the work


  • What financial help is available?

Once the work is completed, the Council will invoice owners for their share. Here is what funding is available to cover your share of the works:

For owner occupiers:

  • The Scottish Government has confirmed a grant of up to  £11,050 for the cost of energy efficiency works only, not general maintenance or physical upgrade works. This grant is called EES:ABS which stands for Energy Efficient Scotland: Area Based Scheme. The Council will apply for this funding to the government on your behalf, all you have to do is fill out a form.

➡️ Please make sure you ask your case officer for it.

Owners are also able to apply for a fuel poverty top up element to the grant if they meet some additional requirements around health, finances and dependents. The Council will apply for this top up on your behalf.

➡️ Please ask your case officer.

Once you have taken the grants available into account, you will still have to find extra money to finance the balance. The Council suggest:

  • Home Energy Scotland (HES) £10k interest-free loan for owner occupiers. This loan can be applied for with Home Energy Scotland directly by contacting them on 0808 808 2282

➡️ Please note: This loan is not explained in detail on their website so you will need to speak to an advisor on the phone, ideally Monday-Friday. Having spoken to HES on the phone recently, they have confirmed that the loan is made up of £5k for repairs and £5k for energy efficiency measures. HES is only able to provide the loan if the works haven’t started yet, so apply as soon as you have an estimate. You will have to go through credit and identity checks to be able to apply for the loan.

  • Loans/mortgages from high street banks
  • The Council payment plan: The Council offers a three-month interest-free payment plan, followed by a 4% interest rate:

Owners with total debts of up to £5,000 

Payment plan of a maximum of 4 years

4% interest rate

Owners with a total debt between £5,000 and £7,000

Payment plan of no longer than 7 years

4% interest rate

Owners with total debts of more than £7,000

Payment plan of a maximum of 15 years

4% interest rate


Source: Edinburgh Council Scheme of Assistance

  • Finally, you also have the option to sell your flat to the Council.
  • Selling your flat to the Council

If you have exhausted all other options, the Council gives some owners the chance to buy back their properties. This is carried out by the Acquisitions department at the Council. They will send someone to visit your flat and will give you a valuation.

➡️ Eligibility for selling to the Council: The Council will only buy flats where doing this will give it at least 50% ownership of the block.

If you meet the eligibility, there are 2 possible ways of selling your property to the Council: 

Tenanted acquisition

This is when you sell your property to the Council but want to stay living in it, so you are selling a “tenanted” flat.

If you opt for this option, you will be granted a Scottish Secure Tenancy (SST). The Council would purchase your home for a fixed amount and provide you with a Scottish Secure Tenancy at social rent levels. The actual rent you would pay would be dependent on the property. See purchase prices.

In certain circumstances, Housing Benefit or Universal Credit may be available to assist with rent payments but you may not be eligible for any assistance if you have over £16,000 following the sale of your home. 

Vacant acquisition

This is when you want to sell your property to the Council and move elsewhere, so you are selling a “vacant” flat. 

➡️ This also applies if your landlord wants to sell the flat to the Council. In order to do this any existing tenants will have to move out.


  • So, how much will it all cost?

No one knows and this is the main problem. The Council started informing residents Lochend and Restalrig in mid 2023 that the works will happen over the next 3 years but has given no indication of what the likely bill will be for owners. 

➡️ This means that, depending on which phase of work your block is in, you will not know for up to 3 years what your final bill will be. 

Some estimates (based on the work carried out in Wester Hailes) average around £20k per flat, which is unaffordable for most.

Showing 1 reaction

  • rufus bouverie
    published this page in Lochend branch 2024-05-07 12:23:14 +0100