There are nearly 1,500 empty council homes in Edinburgh. At the same time, waiting lists are thousands long, people are living in insecure temporary accommodation or sleeping on the streets, and others are trapped in extortionate private lets. Living Rent members know this is a scandal: members are taking action to demand the Council take action and turn these empty homes into social homes.
Join your union on Tuesday morning for a demonstration outside the City Chambers during the Housing, Homelessness and Fair Work Committee meeting while members deliver a deputation to councillors outlining our demands.
Living Rent Lochend are demanding that Derek McGowan and Edinburgh City Council:
- turn empty council homes into permanent social homes as a matter of priority
- stop outsourcing the management of empty homes: fund the "Voids" team and bring it in house
- proper accountability and transparency to stop this happening again!
Bring children, friends, and neighbours: together we will defend our housing.
Assemble from 9am at Cafe Nero opposite the City Chambers on the Royal Mile. The demonstration will begin at 9:30am.
- August 08, 2023 at 9:30am – 10:30am
- Outside the City Chambers