As members of Living Rent, one of the key ways we support each other to confront the housing problems we face is through Member defence. In each branch and city where Living Rent is based, member defence teams work with members to secure improvements to their housing situations. We aren’t trained lawyers, but we have built expertise through our own experiences as renters and by working with each to address various housing issues.
Living Rent Member Defence teams fight and win concerning the following issues:
- Repairs and maintenance,
- Unjust charges, fees or deposit theft,
- Rent reductions
- Unfair service charges
Using direct collective action, member defence teams accross the country have resisted evictions, won tens of thousands of pounds worth of repairs, rent reductions or compensations for our members and shown the power of an organised movement, fighting for people's rights.
Have you had an issue with your landlord or housing provider?
- Join up as a member today
- Email our National Member Defence Coordinator for support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join our national support facebook group, for peer-to-peer advice.
There are city-wide Living Rent Member Defence Teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and neighbourhood Member Defence Teams in the Wyndford, Shawlands, Pollokshields, Govanhill, Govan, Dennistoun, Leith and Gorgie/Dalry. What the Member Defence teams can do:
- Sign-post to professional advice and support
- Support members in researching and planning campaigns to secure housing improvements
- Use diverse tactics to pressure landlords and housing providers to fight for members' demands
An injury to one tenant is an injury to all, but we have shown that when tenants work together, we can overcome bad landlord practices.