Welcome to the Member Defence, where we work case by case to secure improvements to our members' housing situations. We aren’t trained lawyers, but we have built expertise through our own experience as renters and by working with tenants to address their housing issues.
Living Rent Member Defence teams fight and win cases concerning the following issues:
- Repairs and maintenance,
- Unjust charges or deposit theft,
- Eviction, and
Using direct, collective action, we have resisted evictions, forced through hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of repairs and won tens of thousands of pounds in compensation for our members.
Have you had an issue with your landlord or housing provider?
- Join up as a member today (livingrent.org/join)
- Email our National Member Defence Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join our national support facebook group, for peer-to-peer advice.
There are city-wide Living Rent Member Defence Teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and neighbourhood Member Defence Teams in the Wyndford, Shawlands, Govan and Gorgie Dalry. What the Member Defence teams can do:
- Sign-post to professional advice and support
- Support members in researching and planning campaigns to secure housing improvements
- Use diverse tactics to pressure landlords and housing providers
An injury to one tenant is an injury to all, but we have shown that when tenants work together, we can overcome bad landlord practices.
You can become part of the Member Defence. The union is only as strong as its members, so sign up to your local Member Defence Team today!