Skip navigation

Endorse our demands for rent controls

Join the call for rent controls.

Throughout October, the Scottish government is surveying tenants and landlords on their views on rent controls. This survey will feed into legislation that has the potential to ensure that tenants across Scotland have the security of being able to afford their homes.

The survey is 36 questions long, with many technical questions. You can see our response on this webpage.

Endorse our response to the government’s survey below and we will submit your response on the basis of our answers. You will get a confirmation email from the government confirming that we have submitted your response.

You can also choose to fill it out yourself on the government's website. Here is a guide that Crisis and Living Rent have developed to answer the questions.

Rent controls’ effectiveness is hanging in the balance. Landlords know that any rent controls will have a huge impact on their ability to extract inflated profits and they are fighting tooth and nail to ensure that any rent controls are as watered down as possible. 

We have seen how organised they are. They will be filling in this survey in their thousands.

We have built our union to support ourselves specifically for situations like these when the process is stacked against us.

Tell the Scottish government that we need:

  • Universal rent controls to bring down rents, that are long term and as effective as possible. 
  • Rent controls tied to the property, not the tenancy, which will protect both new and sitting tenants.
  • Rent controls that improve quality without increasing the rent.
  • Greater protections against evictions.
  • Rights to allow tenants to decorate and keep pets.


Important: Please fill in your tenancy type before endorsing below.

If you rent from a private landlord and your tenancy began on or after 1 December 2017 you will have a private residential tenancy. If you rent from a private landlord and your tenancy began before 1 December 2017 but on or after 2 January 1989 you will have either a short assured tenancy or an assured tenancy. If you rent from a private landlord and your tenancy began before 2 January 1989 you will usually have a regulated tenancy. 

If you rent from a social landlord (e.g. local authority or housing association) then you will have either a Scottish Secure Tenancy or Short Scottish Secure Tenancy agreement. 

Will you endorse?